ParentShift: Ten Universal Truths That Will Change the Way You Raise Your Kids
How and why to parent without punishments, threats, bribery or rewards.
Groundbreaking in both its scope and methodology, ParentShift dismantles some of our most pervasive myths and challenges some of our most popular parenting tools — including punishments, threats, bribery, and rewards — which, science has shown, consistently sabotage our long-term goals. Child development experts
Linda and Ty Hatfield, along with award-winning journalist and author Wendy Thomas Russell, introduce dozens of “toolkits” designed to solve virtually any household challenge while honoring children’s emotional needs, preserving parent-child relationships and strengthening each child’s self-esteem.
All children — regardless of geography, ethnicity or socio-economic status — are bound together by ten universal truths. These truths account for the vast majority of children's everyday behavior, both positive and negative. They are things like: "All children have emotional needs" and "All children have neurological responses to stress." When we understand and honor each of these truths, children reach adulthood with high and healthy self-esteem and close, trusting bonds with their parents. Yet too many of the tactics parents use today — including timeouts, revoking privileges, “1-2-3 Magic,” star charts and bribery — violate at least one of these truths, if not several of them. ParentShift explores this phenomenon, empowers parents to change, and shows them how to do it.
In this book, parents, grandparents and caregivers learn to:
• Respond thoughtfully to outbursts and tantrums.
• Prepare children to meet life’s challenges.
• Ensure kids become strong boundary-setters.
• Set consistent limits and boundaries.
• Curtail power struggles and sibling rivalry.
• Move beyond timeouts, reward charts and other outdated tactics.
• Help prevent alcohol abuse, addiction, early sex, high-risk behavior and other disturbing trends among teens.
• Build open, trusting parent-child bonds that keep kids turning to parents, instead of peers, for guidance
- Paperback: 330 pages
- Publisher: Brown Paper Press
- Language: English
- Product Dimensions: 7 x 2 x 9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.2 pounds
**Winner of a 2019 Family Choice Award**
Meet Wendy Thomas Russell, Co-author of Parent Shift at Coast Modern on November 7th at 7p.m. for our Book Signing Event. Located at 219 Main Street in Seal Beach, CA.